The Heat is On!
The role of education systems in the global climate change agenda has been overlooked.
This regional report, commissioned by UNICEF South Asia, represents a shift in how the education sector has been analyzed with regards to climate change risks, moving away from a narrow focus on climate impacts on education infrastructure and on student’s attendance, towards a systemic approach on the fundamental role that education systems can – and must – play in the climate change agenda.
The regional report analyses education sector responses to climate change exploring seven key education systems components:
- Policies, plans and strategies
- Curriculum, teaching and learning
- Teacher capacity development
- Communication, coordination and partnership
- School and community student participation platforms
- Monitoring, evaluation and accountability
The report offers key recommendations and a self-assessment tool to make the education systems in South Asia, and globally, more resilient in the face of increasing climate change risks.